VPR approval is required when voluntarily negotiating a discounted or waived F&A rate as it costs the Institution. The Request for Waiver of F&A or Voluntary Cost Share form is required to request this approval.
- F&A rate is applied to charges based on budget approved by the awarding agency
- Most common basis used to apply the rate – Modified Total Direct Cost (MTDC)
- MTDC = Total Cost – Financial Aid – Subcontract > $25,000 – Equipment – F&A
- Two F&A rates are calculated and recorded:
- ONR Rate: Federal negotiated and approved rate
- Agency Cap Rate: Maximum rate the agency will allow
- Approved F&A is recorded in account code 798100
- Waived F&A is recorded as Mandatory or Voluntary cost share using designated account codes 7982XX
- Account codes are determined and assigned at the time of award set-up
An example for typical costs expensed on an award with an agency capped rate of 20%:
|Salaries and Fringe||$ 500|
|Subtotal MTDC||$ 1,000|
|ONR rate of 46%||$ 460||(Debit to 798100-IDC General)|
|Waived IDC 26%||– 260||(Credit to 7982XX-C/S IDC)|
|Total Billed to Agency||$ 1,200|
Direct Costs- Costs specifically identified to the objective with relative ease and a high degree of accuracy.
Indirect Costs- Costs incurred for common or joint objectives and therefore, cannot be identified readily and specifically with a particular sponsored project, an instructional activity, or any other institutional activity.
^ Back to Top